Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Das Love List #8

Buon Tuesday Lovlies!

I was reminiscing this morning on little sayings that I've heard or read over the years in my family. 

1.  "Ahhhh NNNNNNNNuts".  My Grandpa never swore but when he was frustrated he let out a very deliberate "Ahhhh NNNNNNNuts".  Very sweet and endearing and a good lesson in watching what comes out of your mouth.

2.  "If you're bored you're boring".  I remember my Mom saying this once and it's always stuck with me.  Who wants to be boring?

3.  "Tough times never last but tough people do".  I found this saying on a prayer card in my Grandma's bedroom after she passed away.  It was interesting that she had this because not only was she a devoutly religious person but she lived in a great deal of pain most of her life.  The last years of her life were particularly awful.  I never found out where/when/how she came upon this card but I would imagine that it was a source of strength for her. 

4.  You get a bonus one today.  "Children should be seen and not heard".  My Nana used to say this and she certainly was from a generation where the children were happy and clean at all times when presented in public.  I don't begrudgeher this sentiment at all and in fact it makes me laugh out loud because while my own toddler is very sweet and loving she certainly is a sight to behold-both visual and audio-at any time of the day. 

5.  It's two for one bonus day.  "Jesus loves you.  Get a grip".  This was something I came up with in middle school and used to say to my confirmation teacher all the time.  It was my mantra and I even used it in closing a letter that I wrote to the editor of the local paper. 

How about you darlings?  Any funny family sayings? 

No comments:

Post a Comment