Thursday, January 19, 2012

Poaching Post #2

Hello Darlings and Happy Thursday,

A few random updates before we get to the business of poaching from Oprah's magazine.

1)  Even after a few days the apple cake is still delicious and moist.

2)  No sign of Mr. Mouse.  Hopefully he burned at the stake when he crawled back down the radiator pipes.  Or maybe it was the sight of dear hubby in work gloves carrying a long ice scraper/brush out for the kill that sent a loud and clear message :)

3)  I'm loving this cold weather and we are supposed to get a dusting of snow tonight.  Hooray!  I can't complain because I have a warm home and warm winter clothing so really, I want for nothing.  However, cold weather makes getting up extra early to work on various writing deadlines I have looming very tricky.  I'm just going to accept the fact that I need to work late in the evening rather than during my prefered early morning times until at least April. 

This month there was a makeover spread in O Magazine with four women who were made over to look like a specific 'type' that their inner female was yearning to be.  For example one woman transformed into a burlesque star.  Another one into a femme fatal/vixen.  While this was interesting to see the transformations I had my own personal 'specific type' ah-ha moment.  Since I'm a tall and sturdy gal with curves I just assumed that I should always go for the 'burlesque' type.  But no!  I am drawn to the gamine!  I love the short hair, striped clothing, floral prints, interesting accessories, twinkle in the eye and the ballet flats.  With all of the problems in the world is seems sort of silly to be obsessing about things like this but the reason I point it out today is that it informed me that yet again I'm not listening to what I, Church Lady Gretchy, like and am dutifully drawn to what I should be interested in based on stereotypes.   Why can't a hefty gal be interested in all things Roman Holiday-esque?   I'm well aware that I will never be 5"2' or that my eyes won't get any bigger or I won't be as waif like at Leslie Caron or Audrey Hepburn but who cares?  Life's too short to get too caught up in the particulars.  How about your darlings?  What 'types' are you drawn to? 

Bussi Bussi!

No comments:

Post a Comment