Saturday, January 21, 2012

Poaching Post #3

Happy Saturday Darlings! 

First things first.......WE FINALLY HAVE SNOW!  It is super exciting. 

This is my last poaching post from O Magazine.  Martha Beck had a great column this month about finding lasting happiness and the difference between joyful living and crazed living.  This was another major light-bulb moment for me because I had always assumed that there was a direct correlation between your level of happiness and the intensity in which you experience and/or lived life.  If it wasn't big, loud, fast, bold, bright or sparkly then I wouldn't be happy enough.  I'm an extrovert by nature and feel comfortable in most situations but I wouldn't consider myself the bell of the ball.  I'm equally at home both spending time going out with people and spending time by myself.  I love going to movies by myself or spending the evening alone reading a book as much as I like dinner and the theater with friends.  While this stuff makes me happy part of me assumed that I wasn't happy enough and maybe even a little boring because I didn't want to spend Friday night out on the town or all of my free time running around. 

Beck says "True happiness is sustainable delight in the beautiful moments of ordinary life".  What?!  You mean I should just look for quality over quantity?  Light-bulb!  Of course all of us have different ideas of what 'quality' is but that's just the thing.  It's MY definition of quality.  Hooray!  And also, my definition of quality does not require public approval.  Do you ever find yourself doing things and then waiting for recognition in order to validate how good/bad you are?  I certainly could focus on the action more than the reaction.  So without further ado, this is what I did over the past 48 hours and it was HEAVEN!

1.  Lots of walks outside with das Toddler.  She loves to get all snuggled in the stroller under blankets and with her cookies and makes me push her all over Queens.  She's like a queen in her litter and I her humble servant.  Probably not far from the truth but still very funny and fun.

2.  I had a late lunch at Eataly on Thursday.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  Yummy! 


3.  Totally random but I had no idea that there was real Dunder Mifflin paper products out in the world.  I found this at church and almost fell over with delight! 
4.  I made this yummy cake yesterday.  It was a little dry because I left it in too long and I did not add the frosting but still worth the effort.  Not overly sweet and delicious, dark chocolate flavor!

5.  It was another Finishing Friday and I only have one round left on this blanket!  Hooray! 
6.  I treated myself and finally watched Midnight in Paris.  Holy buckets.  Amazing.  I always enjoy Woody Allen films but this is right up there is Annie Hall in my book.  Hopefully das Toddler will fall asleep and I can watch it again today :)

There isn't one thing on this list that is over the top or crazy or loud or showy but they all made me happy and they make me happy just thinking about them.  Which is great because now I can spend less time worrying that I'm not happy enough and just enjoy__________.  Buon weekend darlings!

Bussi Bussi!







No comments:

Post a Comment