Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lick-Your-Lips Goodness

Happy Saturday Dearies,

It's a holiday weekend.  Any shenanigans in your cooker?   As a mostly SAHM I never get a vacation and loose track of the days so I suppose my life is one big 3 day weekend without the luxury of sleeping in.  Although, I must say, for someone who prides herself in getting up at the crack of dawn I'm finding myself wanting to sleep in late.  Late for me is 7:30, but still.  Maybe it's the weather or the fact that I've rigged up the best sleeping cocoon on the planet or the magic of wearing a long, flannel nightgown.  One of my resolutions is to try to listen to what my body is telling me so if my body wants to sleep in until 7:30 then so be it.

It's cold in the East this weekend and I think I just saw 5 flakes of snow.  Bring it on Mother Nature!  I'm longing for a real winter.  I've got my movies, knitting and some amazing leftover chili.  I made a pot of this Lick-Your-Lips Chili yesterday and it is THE TICKET!  The recipe is for omnivores but I think with a few easy tweaks you can make it vegetarian.  There is even a secret ingredient and it isn't super spicy.  Win-win all around.

Taken from Women's Day Magazine
Kris's Lick-Your-Lips Chili

Active time:  30 min; Total time:  3 Hours; Serves 8

1 Tbsp oliv oil
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1 poblano pepper, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
Kosher salt and pepper
5 thin slices prosciutto (optional and I used Turkey bacon)
6 cups low-sodium tomato juice (I used V8)
1 28 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
Sour cream, shredded cheese and other favorite toppings.

1.  Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
2.  Add the onion, peppers, garlic, chili power, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, green chiles and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
3.  Meanwhile, if using the prosciutto, cook it in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.  Transfer to a plate to cook, then chop into pieces and add to the saucepan.
4.  Add the tomato juice, tomatoes and chocolate and bring to a simmer.  Add the chickpeas and beans and gently simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.  Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more.  Serve with your favorite toppings and additional cinnamon if desired. 
Hello delicious Turkey bacon! 

This is the only photo I managed to snap.  It goes down the hatch that easily.  Yum!

Wishing you a buon Saturday darlings!

Bussi Bussi!

PS-I had a great recommendation from a fellow knitter regarding those UFO's.  She knew of someone who dedicated Friday's as "Finishing Friday's" and only worked on finishing her UFO's on those days.  Breaks up the work and you have product to behold and admire.  I dug out a baby blanket that only has a few rounds to go and churned out a few rounds yesterday.  Back to the beasty today.......

No comments:

Post a Comment