Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy In Spite of Things

Happy Friday Friends!

Some of you who read this blog have expressed the desire to live a happier life in 2012 so I thought I'd share this interview with y'all today.  Dr. Karl Pillemer, a Professor and Director at the Cornell Institute for Translational Research on Aging at Cornell University, was on the PBS Newshour last night discussing his fascinating new book 30 Lessons for Living.  Pillemer interviewed close to 1500 of American's elders to find out what they had learned over their many years of living.  This is a generation of folks who have survived some of the toughest times in the history of our country.  The answers they gave are fascinating but the one that seemed to be the most consistent was that you can't wait for happiness or buy happiness but rather, it's best to be happy in spite of things. 

Now, I can only speak for me, but I certainly find myself thinking "Oh, I'll work on being happy tomorrow" or "if I can get XY&Z in a row then I'm sure I'll be happy".  While these points are valid life is flying by at a rapid pace so maybe it's best to focus on a little less planning and a little more living. 

Wishing you all a happy weekend and looking forward to hearing about your stunts!

Bussi Bussi

PS-One of my favorite blogs, http://www.themodernmarigold.com/, had a terrific post yesterday and maybe her idea of a "word for the year" will help you to be happier in spite of things.  Joy and Patience are two that come to mind for me.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment