Monday, January 30, 2012

Das Love List #7

Winter Is the Best Time
Winter is the best time
to found out who you are.
Quiet, contemplation time,
away from the rushing world,
cold time, dark time, holed-up
pulled-in time and space
to see that inner landscape,
that place hidden and within.

"Wintr Is the Best Time" by David Budbill from While We've Still Got Feet
Happy Monday Darlings!  There is something lovely and comforting about a poem.  A book is a great meal but a poem is like a wonderful little desert to finish the meal.  So much is encapsulated in these petite gems which is amazing when you think about how much work goes on behind the scenes in creating them.  There are so many great poems to choose from but here are some of my favorites off the top of my head.  How about you friends?  Do you have any favorite poems??
 
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.


William Shakespeare, Sonnet 130

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
 
e.e. cummings
 
T'is so Much Joy
’T is so much joy! ’T is so much joy!
If I should fail, what poverty!
And yet, as poor as I

have ventured all upon a throw;
Have gained!  Yes! Hesitated so
This side the victory!

Life is but life, and death but death!
Bliss is but bliss, and breath but breath!
And if, indeed, I fail,
At least to know the worst is sweet.
Defeat means nothing but defeat,
No drearier can prevail!


And if I gain,—oh, gun at sea,
Oh, bells that in the steeples be,
At first repeat it slow!
For heaven is a different thing
Conjectured, and waked sudden in,
And might o’erwhelm me so!


Emily Dickinson        

No comments:

Post a Comment