Thursday, January 5, 2012

Vintage Wear

As the tagline of this blog suggests I'm all for living a life of utility and glamor.  This of course does not require a pocket full of money but more an attitude of embracing what you love and greeting each day with a smile and a little gusto.  My experience is a little eyeliner and a positive demeanor go a long way. 

One thing that brings me joy is reading up on history.  I'm particularly fond of the fashion and use of language.  I've always admired gals who dress in vintage fashions but I've just resigned myself to the fact that it doesn't work on me unless for specific occasions.  I look foolish and more importantly feel foolish.  No point in investing in pieces that make you feel silly.  I'll just admire from afar and perhaps throw in a few pieces now and then.  Vintage earrings?  Yes please.  Vintage scarf?  Yes please.  Full on vintage dress complete with hair and makeup and accessories?  Hmmmmmm.

Now one place I don't mine wearing vintage fashions is in the bedroom!  While I won't be prancing about in regency wear in public there's no reason why you can't wear it for your evening slumber.   Long sleeved and long nightwear is a particular favorite and I found a decent replica from none other than L.L. Bean!  Check out this beauty.  It's super cold in NY and this is just the ticket.  Sigh.  Warning-if you are trying to increase your nookie time this year a vintage gown might not quite be the ticket but you're all a creative lot.  Wear it with pride and figure out another way to increase sex appeal.  

PS-I read this quote in an email from http://www.purlbee.com/ today and just had to share.  It's from a craft project.  While I don't think I'll be making a Felt Ball Trivet anytime soon I think the sentiment bears repeating because I believe this relates to all areas of life.  Wishing you a day of beauty and easy elegance. 

A trivet is perhaps a small detail of domestic life, but it becomes something special when it bestows a spare beauty and an easy elegance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment