Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gratitude and Thankfulness-Day Twenty Three

Dear Friends,

Happy Thursday.  As I type this I'm listening to the old pipes in my old apartment clank and clang as the heat comes on.  It's such a comforting sound and I'm grateful and thankful for a warm home.  (Although, I must admit these NYC apartments can get pretty steamy.  When asked what I set my thermostat to I always say window half or fully open).  Radiant heat, extra blankets, warm woolies, cups of hot coffee, bowls of hot soup and snuggling.  I love winter! 

As winter sets in I'm also incredibly thankful for splashes of color.  I heart color.  At one point in my life I always thought the more black the better but oh so wrong.  Everyone needs a splash of color in their day.  We were meant to live wild and juicy lives and how can wearing all neutrals fulfill that prophecy?  One of my favorite blogs is Weaverknits and she's all about experimenting with color in her knitting.  Color-Aid cards look so cool and could really make designing knitwear, or frankly an everyday crafty and creative look, so much more fun.  This whole system of using color was developed by this awesome-sauce guy Josef Albers.  If you are into knitting, Weaverknits has a lot of fun designs based on Albers designs and color theory.  Lots of fun and juicy stuff for those cold winter days. 

We almost had coffee disaster this morning and I'm super grateful for my percolator.  I get up between 4:00-5:00 am, light some candles, pour a cup of beautiful caffeine goodness and start writing.  Unfortunately, my dear Silver Mistress (not to be confused with the Red Maiden) is going on the fritz and it took me 3 attempts to get a decent pot of coffee this morning.  Coffee is a super important part of my morning ritual and I don't see giving it up anytime soon so it's fair to say that panic was setting in today.  I started to plot how I could get to Starbucks and get one of those boxes of coffee to go so I'd have enough joe for the day.  Serious situation.  

So today is kind of random but perhaps the takeaway is a gentle reminder that it's the simple things in life that give us pleasure and make living in 2011 so much more exciting, juicy and comfortable.  Coffee, heat and color.  That's all a gal needs. 

Buon Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment