Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gratitude and Thankfulness-Day Twenty-Five

Happy Saturday Darlings!

It's a weekend of fun and acts of compassion, two things that register very high on my Gratitude-O-Meter. 

Today I'm meeting some pals for brunch and then heading to the New York Public Library for a Crafternoon with....wait for it....Debbie Stoller and Laurie Henzel.  For those of you out of the loop these fab gals are not only the founders and editors of BUST magazine-primo numero uno source for shenanigans-but also the writers & editors of my new fav book, Bust: DIY Guide to Life.  (If you are a knitter you may recognize Stoller from the popular Stitch n' Bitch series).  It's just so exciting.  I feel like Tracy Turnblad as she swoons when she finds out that Mr. Pinky wants her to be a spokes-girl for The Hefty Hideaway.  "Tell me I get a free caftan!".  I get to spend the afternoon with these gals hearing about the book, the DIY movement, DIY articles in the magazine and we are going to work on a craft from the book, specifically friendship bracelets.  Spoiler alert, one of my resolutions for the New Year was to work my way through all of the crafts in the DIY book and blog about it.  I wasn't going giving myself time constraints like 'a craft a day' but rather  to slowly and leisurely enjoy learning some new fun skills with a cool end result.  That said, I've moved the kick off of said resolution to TODAY.  Le Sigh.  (PS-Bust was founded by three gals who hated their day jobs so they worked on a new magazine while at work and after hours which promptly took off and the Bust we know and love today was the end result.  Friends, follow your hearts and crazy ideas.   Sure it takes a lot of blood and time and sweat and tears.  But, what else are you usin' that sweat for?)

It's a busy weekend at church and it's going to be fantastic all around.  1.  It's Christ the King Sunday, the last Sunday of the church year.  All of the hymns are triumphant and fun.  The sending hymn, the gospel tune "Soon and Very Soon" by Andraé Crouch, was a special request by our Associate Pastor (a very awesome, retired Pastor in his mid to late 70's) because he wants to dance out of the church with our Deacon.  Friends, this is not something that usually happens in a Lutheran Church but there you have it.  Double Le Sigh!  2.  A home visit to see one of the classiest women I know who unfortunately fell and broke her hip.  Mrs. A. is a Swedish immigrant in her late 70's/80's who could rival Jackie Kennedy or Princess Diana in style.  Even when she was stuck at home caring for her ailing husband she still greeted you in her house clothes complete with pearls and panty hose.  She's beautiful, feisty, clever, classy and kindness all wrapped up in one package.  I want to be her when I grow up.
3.  We are hosting a huge Thanksgiving Dinner in the fellowship hall for the homeless.  We open the doors to the hungry in the neighborhood (and there are a lot of rumbling tummies down in that part of town).  Singers are coming in to provide entertainment, volunteers with big hearts are already lining up to help and money will be raised on the side to help benefit Trinity Lower East Side.  The cooks are already there, the ovens are humming and what a way to kick off Thanksgiving Week!

How cool is this!?  Look at these faces!  Skip cracks me up and Payton is just looks so curious and nosy.  I've never loved eating Turkey (I prefer the stuffing) and every time I see those ads on TV promoting Hellmans Mayonnaise and how they slather it all over the raw turkey to keep it from drying out I gag.  Blecha!  I'm not going to lie-we will have some sort of meat in our house for Thanksgiving but it does give you pause to think.  Just don't tell Skip because he looks like he could kick my booty if he finds out we are eating animals on Thursday.  




Anything fun planned?  Make sure you make time for fun darlings.  Buon Weekend! 

Love, Love, Love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment