Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gratitude and Thankfulness-Day Nine

Happy Thursday Friends!

Not to sound like a broken record but my mailbox was SLAMMED with holiday catalogs yesterday.  Yowzaa!  While I enjoy flipping through the pages for inspiration it's a bit overwhelming.  I definitely have a hard time separating want vs. need when it comes to consuming. 

Today I'm grateful for handcrafts and especially knitting because it's the one thing that seems to calm the chatter in my mind-especially important during the festive seasons upon us.  I always have a portable project to take with me on the subway or when standing in long lines.  Sure, I may look like a nutter but who cares?  Friends, I can honestly say that once you've had a small person flying out of your loins in the oh so unglamorous process called birth your entire idea of how the world perceives you changes DRAMATICALLY.  (PS-I had knitting projects with me in labor and delivery.  PPS-thinking about having kids?  Find a reliable waterproof eyeliner now.  Lip gloss is a good idea too.  Trust me.)

My current subway project.  A simple hat of my own design using the circling purls design.  Ganz einfach!

I'm always losing my stitch markers so I substitute whatever I can find in my purse.  Gum wrapper?  Check.
I've always been drawn to anything crafty.  Remember Kirsten from The American Girl Stories?  I'm from the generation when there were only 3 American Girls and it was more about the books than the dolls.  Poor Kirsten has since gotten the boot but her family stories of immigrating to America in 1865 and trying to make it were so charming.  Think Little House On The Prairie light.  One of the books featured a craft project-a summer quilt-that Kirsten and her friends were making for her teacher.  I remember reading that and I wanted desperately to try it.  I think you could even order a quilt kit???  So cool. I am over the moon happy that crafting is back in vogue thanks to our renewed interest in self sustainability and supporting all things local.  Hooray us.

Are any of you planning on making anything for the Holidays?  Purchasing anything cool from a local vendor or from a vendor that supports sustainable, humanitarian work?  I'd love to hear about it!

Cheers-GM

No comments:

Post a Comment