Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gratitude and Thankfulness-Day Fourteen

Hello Darlings,
Hope you are well.  Today I'm grateful for the capacity to cope.  This is pretty major when you start to think about all of the times you need to roll with the punches in a single day.  By nature I'm an easy going and positive person.  However, if things don't always go according to plan or something comes flying unexpectedly across the radar my serious German side kicks in and then watch out.  (Thankfully I have a strong showing from the southern German and Swiss contingent in my DNA or I'd really be screwed). 

One of the best parenting tips and perhaps the only parenting tip I received is the only thing you have control over is your emotions and reactions.  So true not only when raising little people but for every aspect in life.  Do you find yourself flipping out more often than not?  Or do you freak or go on a forced shut down?  I'm all for having a big and wide range of emotions to tap into but sometimes we are our own worst enemy and end up driving ourselves bananas.  Perhaps instead of focusing on the outcome of a problem or freaking out that we freak out we should evolve a little and cope.  Coping can mean finding workable solutions, speaking our mind, changing the subject all together or just taking 5 seconds to breathe.  For me trying a different approach usually works wonders.   And when in doubt?  Port wine and knitting usually does the trick.   

One a Random Shenanigans Report from the Front Line:

1)  I had my first adventure with re-hydrating dry beans in the slow cooker.  I used white kidney beans.  (Did you know that dry kidney beans have a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin that needs to be boiled off for 10 minutes before consumption?  I want to know who discovers these things.  Were a bunch of housewives sitting around and dropping like flies from bean toxins before someone discovered that the kidney beans were the culprit??  Fascinating!)  The verdict for trial number one is win/fail.  Win that the beans are moist and ready to be both consumed and stored in the freezer.  The bad news is my slow cooker runs hot so they were done MUCH sooner than anticipated and therefore a little mushy.  Not a total loss because this batch will be used for sauces and purees.  Onward with the testing!

2)  The BUST DIY Guide to Life is rocking my world.  Originally I wasn't going to get it-how many more craft/DIY books do I need.  Plus, a majority of it is a compilation of crafts from their magazine and I already subscribe.  Friends.  This book is so much more and it's awesome-sauce.  The crafts are varied and cool and it's fun to look through them.  There is even a section of make-up/hairstyles from different decades.  The section of practical life advice-finances/working a day job if you are an artsy person/buying your first home etc. is incredible.  I'm not sorry I bought this book and I'm thinking of working my way through the entire thing and blogging about it.......stunts. 

Buon Day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment