Friday, November 4, 2011

Gratitude and Thankfulness-Day Ten

Happy Friday Friends!

I had all sorts of serious and profound things I was going to give thanks for today.  But nope.  As I was lying in bed hitting snooze for an hour this morning it hit me.  Today I'm grateful for my comfy and cozy bed.  I love snuggling into my huge bed with it's faux down duvet and faux down pillows and 100% cotton sheets.  It's a heavenly sanctuary here on earth.  My room is quiet and dark.  The alarm clock sits high, the light is dim so it doesn't annoy me when I'm falling asleep, the sounds of birds chirping wakes me up and the snooze is set at 10 minute alerts.  Ahhhh bliss. 
The Sleeping Giant in Helena, Montana.  Can you find the face?  I wonder what he's dreaming about.....
I'm a huge believer in the important and restorative power of sleep.  There is always time for a nap!  
I have a dear friend who says she can't nap and my heart breaks for her.  Sad day.  I prefer to get up early which means that most nights I have to turn in early but it's worth it to me.  Why torture myself by doing shoddy work late at night when I'm tired? 

How about you?  Do you have a perfect sleep sanctuary?  Hubby dear prefers building a nest and sleeping on the floor for his back.  I know people that have built platforms out of plywood to sleep on.  I also know people who use bedrolls on the floor.  In Turkey, everyone has a closet filled with bedrolls and at night you just roll them out and sleep all over the house.  It's actually kind of fun because if you have a big family that means you can hang out chatting into the wee hours of the morning and then just have a slumber party.  They would be HIGHLY offended if you came to visit and then checked into a hotel.  They feel like if you've come all this way why would you want to spend time by yourself somewhere else?  I love this about the culture but admittedly it isn't the ideal setting if you are looking for intimate relations because you have no idea who is going to be snoring next to you.  When we took das Baby for the first time we set up our little camp and crashed in the 'salon' or the bigger living room at night.  Turks take pride in bonding with people, especially family, and they are touchy/feeling/snuggle folks.  Children are always lavished with a lot of attention, well cared for and in some respects much safer than they are here.  And man do they love babies.  Hubby's sisters would sneak into our room at night so they could sleep next to the baby just for a little bit. 

On a completely unrelated note, if you are around tonight you might want to check this out on your local PBS station.  One of my pipe dreams is to learn to play a stringed instrument of the guitar type.  I think they are so cool, they're portable and it would really up the shenanigan factor in my life.  Think of the stunts I could pull!   Steve Martin is not only a fantastic actor but also a prolific player of the banjo.  You could watch this while nestled in your bed.  Here in NYC it airs on Channel 13 at 9:00 PM.  I'm hoping to wear out das Baby today so I can trick her into going to bed early so I can knit and watch this in peace.  :) 





Wishing you a buon and restful weekend darlings.  Don't forget that clocks are set back an hour on Sunday........"Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound".........

No comments:

Post a Comment