Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cyber Adventskalender-Day One

 
Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you!

Good Morning Friends! 

I missed you and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are full of Thanks-Living. 

As a child, every year we had one of those chocolate Advent Calendars.  My sister and I would split the days-odd or even.  Of course, in a rush to get to the good stuff, some years I would 'eat ahead'.  I was also notorious for sneaking into the living room to open my presents and I could carefully tape those suckers up so no one was any wiser to my shenanigans.  One year I remember begging and pleading to open my gifts and out of frustration my Dad said I could go into the living room and open all of my gifts but Christmas Eve I would have to sit alone in my room.  I had enough sense to not take him up on that offer but I admit I mulled it over for quite a while.  What can I say?   I have no patience and I hate waiting. 

It's the season of waiting and preparing.  We have two choices.  Either we can be impatient and get caught up in the madness and the month will fly by and then 2012 will be here and we'll be tired and miserable and we won't have enjoyed any of it.  Or you can try to make the conscious decision to savor every moment.  This is a sacred and wonderful time!  Regardless of your take on spirituality this month is all about awesome-sauce divine happenings my darlings and standing in a horrid line at the mall is not one of those happenings.  There are 31 days left in the year and how do you want to spend these next few days?  Worrying about calories in eggnog or embracing life?  You have my permission to participate in the festivities in the best way possible for YOU.  Want to wear red glitter and eat a pound of fudge and sing carols in the street?  Knock yourself out.  Or is the thought of sending cards or baking cookies or attending concerts or putting up decorations etc.making your break out in hives?   Then don't do it.  Enjoy the process because friends, January 1, 2012 will be here before you can say "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire".   Besides, we are always in a rush, rush, rush to get to the good stuff but it's already in front of your lovely face. 

Savor the day darlings!

XOXOXOXO

PS-Because I love history I had to share this.  Did you know the Advent Calendar or Adventskalender was invented in Germany?  Be still my beating Deutsch heart.  And it was invented by German Lutherans?  Le Sigh.  Historians believe that a form of a 'countdown clock' appeared sometime during the beginning of the 19th century and it was anything from marking simple lines with chalk in the home to lighting a candle in a wreath.  The first printed calendars appeared sometime between 1902-1908 .  Gerhard Lang, a Schwabian parishoner, is responsible for producing the printed calendars that we know and love today.  His first calendars came with 24 little pictures that could be attached to a piece of cardboard.  Calendars disappeared during World War II in an effort to save paper and it was Richard Sellmar Verlag of Stuttgart who resurrected the practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment