Friday, December 9, 2011

Cyber Adventskalendar-Day Eight

Dear Friends,

Happy Friday.  Today is sort of a random post because in truth I really want to crawl back into bed and sleep for two days.  Thank the Lord above that I have coffee and eggnog to see me through. 

1.  A few of the gal pals are coming over on Saturday for some retro crafting.  We are going to cut out paper snowflakes and make snow globes.  I don't remember much from my youth because I have the worst memory on the planet but I specifically remember making snow globes in first grade with the class across the hall.  I was lucky to have the nice first grade teacher, Mrs. Peterson.  She was older, tall with short gray hair and glasses and clearly had been teaching for a long time.  I don't remember her as being particularly warm or friendly, but she was nice enough and I have no complaints.  Mrs. Harold was also older but short, had a salt and pepper bun, a raspy voice and was always yelling.  She was the kind of teacher you read about in books and feared as child.  However, Mrs. H. had redeemed herself for a brief in my 6 year old mind when she taught us how to make snow globes.  Bless Mrs. P. but she never did anything this cool.  How bad can a person really be if they teach you the magic of making your own snow globe? 

2.  I'm trying to finish knitting an adult sized sweater in time for Christmas.  The Gray Beasty is a thorn in my side.  Years ago when I first was getting into knitting my Dad requested a sweater and even bought me the beautiful and expensive yarn from which the beasty would be born.  It's beautiful, heavy in weight, a nice natural gray color from a combination of natural cream and black fibers from sheep in Montana.  Le Sigh.  However, I had first time knitter sweater disaster.  It took me three years to finish and it ended up being way too long in the sleeves and too short in the body.  Rats.  So I started again with new vigor and with a new pattern.  Can I finish it in time? 
The Yarn Harlot is trying to finish an adult sweater in time for Christmas too and it has fortified my spirits.  I'm just trying to NOT think about the fact that she probably knits at a rate 5x's faster than I do and her children are self sufficient.  Again, I have coffee and eggnog to see me through. 

3.  If you are looking for a beautiful gift for someone or if you want something fancy for yourself check out Alecia Wesner on Etsy.  Her jewelry is so beautiful, interesting in design &construction and let's not forget shiny (!).  I actually know her through church and I can honestly say that she is the nicest person.  Somehow she finds time to make these amazing pieces while also working full-time as a design director for a lighting company which includes LOTS of travel.  Truthfully, I'm not sure how she does it all.  She must have secret stashes of eggnog and coffee. 

4.  I'm developing a new obsession and it is called vintage typewriters.  I have visions of typing correspondence instead of sending text messages.  Can't you just imagine dropping juicy letters in the mail to you best gal pals and waiting with baited breath from them to mail back a response?  Delightful.  Honestly, I'm not sure how this latest craze came into being but it has hit Stunts & Shenanigans very hard my darlings.  Maybe it's because I feel so bad for the poor state of the United States Postal Service and want to mail things like to crazy to help them out or maybe it's just a bee in my bonnet and a phase.  At any rate-check out these beauties!

Buon weekend my darlings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment