Friday, December 2, 2011

Cyber Adventskalendar-Day Two

 
Happy Friday My Yuletide Loving Friends!
O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
wie treu sind deine Blätter!
Du grünst nicht nur
  zur Sommerzeit,
Nein auch im Winter, wenn es schneit.
O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
wie treu sind deine Blätter!

I've always liked this carol but this is the first time I've actually paid attention to the lyrics of "O Christmas Tree".  The text is so sweet.  Literally it translates to "O Christmas Tree, how loyal are your needles/leaves.  You're green not only in summer time, no, also in winter when it snows".  Now that's the kind of friend you want and the kind of 'person' you aspire to be-constant, true to yourself, statuesque and not afraid to put on a few decorations. 

There is something magical that happens when you put up a tree.  We've been rocking a 2 foot, hot pink, tinsel tree for a few years now (much to hubby's delight-NOT!).  We both prefer a real trees but alas-no space.  So when in doubt go tinsel!  When I pulled that pink beauty out of the closet last night das Toddler started shrieking with delight.  She was so overcome with the glory of it all.  When the decorations came out she started ripping them out of the box.  It took all of 15 minutes to put together a child proof tree but it was magical and it instantly transformed the room.  We had a ball. 

I've always loved Christmas trees.  One year as a kid I imagined that the tree was real and it was my friend.  I used to talk to it, we danced together, I took naps under it and the horrible day when it was taken down to the trash?  I cried in the alley.  (Yes, another sign I was destined for a career on the stage.) 

There is some debate as to the origins of the Christmas tree.  Some say it was used in pagan rituals and brought indoors during Winter Solstice and others point to Christian origins dating back to the 1500's with a possible shout out to St. Bonifice who while on a mission trip in Germany was angered at the 'pagans' who were worshiping an oak tree and he cut it down.  In it's place a pine tree sprung from the roots and he took as a sign of the Christian faith.  Some have renamed it a Holiday Tree to be politically correct and environmentalists have blasted it as well. 

I get so frustrated when we get caught up in these types of debates and draw hard lines in the sand of what's right.  Drives. Me. Bonkers.  This is a time of peace and tradition and those are wonderful, scared things.  Embrace them!  I have strong ties to my Lutheran heritage so that has a serious presence this month for me.  My sweet baboo is Muslim and can't get enough of singing Feliz Navidad and loves decorating the tree and watching the old Christmas movies.  Hooray!  I have a dear friend who has strong ties and beliefs in The Spirit and especially as it pertains to healing and the power of The Solstice.  Fantastic.  Another friend always shares her favorite Hanukkah recipes with me and especially this killer recipe (ha-no pun intended) of tongue in a sweet, orange sauce.  Blessed be!  Embrace your traditions and what makes you sing for joy.  And, if you have a history of craptastic holidays then it's time to start your own traditions.  Stop worrying about pleasing other people or doing the 'right' thing.  Get some new tinsel and start fresh.  It's the time to revel in the magic and not wallow in misery. 

Perhaps the Christmas tree is a good role model.  Constant and true to herself with the possibility of a dash of sparkle.  

Buon Friday!


2 comments:

  1. Mr. Christmas Tree approves this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen, this post is awesome! I am love how open and glittertastic you are! Love and hugs to you and your family during this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete