Monday, December 12, 2011

Cyber Adventskalendar-Day 11

Happy Monday Friends!

I'm feeling another song round-up coming on!

1.  Children Go Where I Send Thee is one of my favorites.  I grew up watching Peter, Paul and Mary specials on PBS and this was always one of my favorite songs they sang.  I remember thinking I had never in my life heard anything so cool as this piece when I first heard Mary rocking out on it.  It has forever stuck in my mind.  Unfortunately, I can't find a good version of Peter, Paul and Mary singing it to share with you but this one of with Joe Gilbert and Eddie Brown on the Danny Kaye show is pretty awesome. 

2.  This piece is so over the top that it could be bad but it's good.  The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is awesome.  You always hear Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24 or Carol of the Bells on the radio stations.  Take a listen here.  I certainly am not a huge fan of metal music and as a well trained musician I should probably hate their music because it's SO over the top, by law I should hate terrible arrangements of otherwise wonderful Christmas carols, it's in your face, loud, uses lots of synthesizer etc. but I just can't help myself.  When I listen to this I feel like I can accomplish anything on my long Christmas to-do list.  I can knit that sweater!  I can write all those Christmas cards!  Eggnog will not make me fat!  If you are a fan of The Office you'll get a kick out of watching Dwight dance to this tune.  It's great.  He's great.  Sigh. 

3.  One of my favorite hymns is Gabriel's Message.  It's a basque Christmas folk carol about Angel Gabriel coming down to announce to Mary the coming birth of Jesus.  I'm not Catholic but I have a big thing for Mary, and frankly all of the women in the bible.  In short they rock and they have loads to teach us.  In this carol one of the best lines is "most highly favored Lady.....".  This carol is also on Sting's album and you can hear it here.

Happy Day and happy singing!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment