Thursday, October 20, 2011

Use It Up, Wear It Out, Make It Do or Do Without-Day Five

Hello Friends,

One of my favorite things to do while exercising is to watch movies.  I sit on the bike at home with the laptop balanced on the handle bars.  My theory is I'm working on all the goods from head to toe-brain to buns.  (I've tried typing but I get seasick).  My movies of choice are either British Dramas or Documentaries.  I'm very taken with documentaries that show people making dramatic changes to their lifestyle-be it how they eat or how they live-and I love watching the paradigm shift that happens in their lives.  One that I watched recently that I think pertains to our little stunt is called No Impact Man.  Colin Beaven lives in NYC with his wife and daughter and over the course of the year they try to live with no impact on the environment.  It is very extreme at times but interesting and gives you pause to think.  In many ways I am very different from this family (not a criticism) but I would say that if a family living in a 5th Ave. Apartment in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world can make thrifty and lasting change in positive ways then my hope is that they continue to inspire both me and the world around them. 

One takeaway for me was to start doing laundry in my own home.  I purchased this Wonder Wash and would do small loads of laundry in our big bathtub.  It doesn't always get things as clean as the laundromat, I can't do big loads and you do need to pre-soak but it is better for the environment, you burn calories and in an apartment it really helps in a pinch.  (Maybe we need a month of no impact living in January when we have the post holiday slump hangover.  Hmmmmmm.......) 

I have an inner hippie that leaps for patchouli-joy whenever I find something that shakes a fist at 'The Man' and saves money.  I don't always walk-the-walk (but I DO love to talk!).  Maybe it's my Montana upbringing or the fact that my family really lived a life based on simple living in order to save both money and resources. .  My Mom even commented on a recent trip that she was the only person in the airport who packed their German Butterbrot (or in layman's terms a sandwich).  I am most certainly not as cost conscious as my parents and I don't balk twice at dropping $10 on a sandwich at the airport because I can't be bothered with packing food.  I'm also not ashamed (or maybe I should be ashamed) to admit that I get caught up in image and how would it look to bring your own sandwich to an airport?? 

The reality is that I'm nickle-and-diming myself to death and helping to destroy a planet already on it's way to destructionville.  What a terrible example I'm setting for my daughter!

My challenge for you today is to think about ways you can have less impact on both your wallet and the environment.  Is there one change you can make?   Have any great tips? 

No comments:

Post a Comment