Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day of ME aka "Resolutions and a Day Of Divine Solitude"

Happy Thursday Friends,

Yesterday was a big day because it was my Birthday!  I'm not ashamed to shout it from the rooftops that I love my birthday and look forward to it every year.  A birthday is a chance at a fresh start, a new year, a time to make personal resolutions.  To honor my 33rd year of life I came up with 33 resolutions for the year.  It was a fun exercise and a lot of interesting thoughts work their way through the ol' cooker when you force yourself to come up with 33 things. 

More importantly than my fantastic resolutions (stop 'wanting' and start living, build a terrarium, go to Niagra Falls, research Dutch design etc.) was how I spent my special day.  BY MYSELF!  Darlings, it was heaven on earth.  I love spending time by myself and I know that makes some people really twitchy; however, I find it energizing.  Granted I may be a little biased because my days are spent changing diapers, running to parks and today I picked out peanut butter from out of the mouth of my toddler because she couldn't get it off the roof of her mouth.  Fun.  Some folks are revitalized by crowds and some by quiet.  I fall in the later category for sure.  This post over at Crazy Sexy Life on solitude, which incidentally just happened to coincide with my Birthday, sums it up perfectly. 

Without further ado, here is how I spent my heavenly day!  It was a wonderful day to be in NYC and as I slowly bummeled from The Cloisters to Columbus Circle.  I took these pics on my phone so the quality is so-so and for some reason I didn't take any pics while actually inside The Cloisters.  Oh well.  I didn't want to spend the entire day taking pics because that wasn't the point of spending my day in solitude.  While this doesn't even begin to do justice to just how wonderful this day was, I hope it inspires you to consider taking an entire day to yourself doing something invigorating!  Happy solitude darlings!



Just outside of The Cloisters.  A perfect reminder of what "The Day of Gretchy" is all about! 
Fort Tryon is one of the most beautiful parks in the city.  It makes living in this cesspool tolerable. 



You can't tell by the photos but there were little, white butterflies swarming all over these purple plants.  It was beautiful!



A Wood Chuck!  Who says NY doesn't have wildlife??


Lunch was at Cafe Blossom.  Friends, this place is AHH-AHH-MAZING!  This is some of the best vegan dining I've experienced to date.  Super delicious and if you are a serious carnivore, don't let the fact that this restaurant is 100% vegan turn you off.  This is some serious, gourmet food.  I had to refrain myself from licking my plate and have been scheming how to get more. No joke, I saw God.  
Creamy, mushroom soup goodness. I should've ordered more to go.......

Root vegetables wrapped in phyllo dough in a lemony/wine sauce.  Holy moly.  

My eggplant trio consisted of fire roasted eggplant, breaded eggplant in a Marsala sauce and avocado/onion/watercress wrapped in grilled eggplant.  This is the plate I almost licked clean.  

Next stop was a yarn shop I've been wanting to check out because a good friend just loves the owners.  Excellent selection and lovely people.  Due to a recent and much needed stash busting I restrained myself and didn't buy anything but it was fun to snoop :)

Be still my heart!


It was just me and the blue hairs.  Cute movie.  Very Wes Anderson. 

A stop at Sephora to pickup more blue eyeliner (!!) and to try out the nail bar.  Really digging the glitter polish but alas, at $20/bottle, I said no thanks. 

Blue and purple glitter? Yes please. 

The end of a perfect day!









No comments:

Post a Comment